Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Austin is (and always will be) Wooderson's Town ... and what does this have to do with BBQ?

Had a little surgery last Tuesday.  Oh, don't worry, it was nothing.  And one positive side effect of being grounded here in North Austin for a few weekdays is that it gave me an excuse opportunity to go check out a new barbecue joint that opened up not too far from my house, Stiles Switch BBQ & Brew on North Lamar.

I had heard the place was located in "the historic Violet Crown Shopping Center," but I didn't have any clue what made the nondescript small commercial strip historic.  Once I walked in the place though, I saw some Dazed and Confused memorabilia, thought a bit more about the layout of the parking lot and the place, and started wondering if the home of Stiles Switch was involved the movie.

Turns out it was, big time, as was the whole shopping center.  The "about" section of the Stiles Switch web site explains:
The Violet Crown Shopping Center, one of the “oldest” shopping centers in central Austin, was also the film production hub for the late 1990s film “Dazed and Confused” starring Matthew McConaughey. The Stiles Switch BBQ lease space is the famed “Emporium” pool hall filmed in the movie.
Wooderson enters the Emporium

Well, I don't believe in karma or any of that stuff, but one of the first things I read when I get home (with my take out 'cue, which was pretty good by the way) is that Matthew McConaughey just suited up as iconic Dazed and Confused character David Wooderson for the video for Butch Walker and the Black Widows' new video, "Synthesizers."  Appears that a does of those high school girls has kept Wooderson the same age since we last say him.


Check back soon for a true BBQ update.  Been to a lot of new joints since we last did a thorough rundown.

No comments:

Post a Comment