Sunday, December 13, 2009

Yaktoberfest: Beerdrinking as fundraising (Part 2 of 2)

So, my two contributions came out pretty good. Steve sent out an email with word of the Yaktoberfest celebration to be held at the cul de sac the weekend after ACL. Not only would several homebrewers be contributing DIY concoctions, we'd also be raising money for Heifer International - hence the moniker. Can't beat drinking beer for a good cause! That's my kind of fundraiser.

The day came, and it wasn't the nicest weather, but the brewers all came out in force. In addition to my bottles of Nut Brown Ale and Baltic Porter, five different homebrews were on tap. Steve contributed an Imperial Ale and a Dunkelweizen, Sammy pitched in with a Brown Ale, and Nick had a nice Stout and a Pale Ale. Ben also chipped in with bottled beer -- his also was a Pale Ale.


The scene


Steve, the organizer


Choices!

It was great that most of the brews were on tap. People were able to try small amounts of many (or all) of the offerings. I couldn't resist using the small turtle device Nick brought to pour myself a haus bräu black & tan.


Black & Tan: stout atop ale

The party wound down around the start of the UT football game. The beer was great. I was also pretty stoked to hear from Steve that we were able to raise enough to buy a full water buffalo. So the party worked out for people in Austin and the Philippines as well. It didn't take long to start to hear talk that Yaktoberfest should be an annual happening. Sounds good to me.

2 comments:

  1. Yep...that's my 'hood, all right. We live kitty-corner (or catty-corner, if you've become a real Texan by now) from Steve & Becky.

    Weird!

    Hope to catch the event next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's pretty funny. Steve and I work together at ERCOT. Too bad you couldn't make it. We'll be doing something else I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete