Thursday, March 27, 2008

Even my spirit hurts

Rachel's tour of Austin's yoga studios continues...
Yesterday I went to Seventh Street Yoga, the first downtown yoga studio in Austin. SSY gets high marks for looks - two airy studios with bamboo flooring, high ceilings, reedy walls and lots of windows. Not to mention the modern cubbies that I would put in my house. And in contrast to the previously visited Kula Yoga, it's not unnecessarily air-conditioned.

It's kind of high on the intimidation factor though. You walk into the requisite yoga boutique ($44 spandex tank top, anyone?) to hear the self-conscious chatter of young hardbodied yogis, and then into class you go. Granted, I subjected myself to the advanced level class (a reflection not of my ability, but my schedule), but it's been a while since I was in any class of any level with no greeting, no "listen to your body". Just three oms and a punishing series of sun salutations A & B to start things off. And you better know postures, because there's no coaching here. I suppose once you do get to that level, you dispense with the niceties. And judging by the studio's website and their Ashtanga focus, they really want you to progress through their classes before jumping headlong into the "spirit-lifting" freestyle vinyasa class taught by Mike.





This is Mike, in Vrischikasana, or scorpion pose.

So the upshot? Well, I bought the new student pass, and with additional classes at varying levels, I could practice a little self-ahimsa and try something else. Or not.

Oh, and by the way? Standing on your head for a while makes a person kinda dizzy.

No comments:

Post a Comment